Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Counter Conversations: Bonding

There are few professions privileged enough to see the workings of the mind. You know: psychologists, best friends, hair dressers, bartenders, and baristas. Oftentimes I'm caught by surprise. Even in the short amount of time I see my regulars, a bond grows somehow.

Three times a week this guy comes I for dinner, a few glasses of wine, and company. His wife works out of town and he never really learned how to cook; but I think what he craves more is the sense of community and the connection with others. I've found myself listening and truly hearing what he says. Sometimes I feel out of bounds, dragged into an arena designed for people to subjectify, not partake in. I'm paid to create an atmosphere, build customer relations, and manage the staff to do the same; as well as make food and drinks. I never imagined I'd be listening to a conflicted heart, asking to talk through a problem with me. That's an honor deserved amongst friends, family, and your doctor, right? It feels that way, at least; and I'm honored for that consideration.

Shortly after I started working at this location, I had two customers sitting at my counter. They ordered food and a couple drinks and started talking to each others I would pop into their portion of the shop every once in a whole to do some work and check in; and they drew me into their conversation so easily. I soon discovered so much about their family. Their son just had his first child: a daughter. They recently moved back to Colorado to have their child. Their sun use to be a lawyer, but went to Seattle to become a graphics art design guy (or something like that). He just got a job working part-time for quite a decent pay so he could spend time at home. Meanwhile, this couple lives in Colorado Springs. This is their second marriage each; with separate kids to boot. Both retired and enjoying time. He was an astronomy professor and she was a a chef or something of that sort. Needless to say, they didn't dabble in the others affairs and that's why their marriage was good (or so they claimed).

This is one of the many reasons I love my job. I get to be a part of people's lives, if only for a minute or two; or an hour at a time. Just talking and creating that connection with others, building a community space. It's all fodder for inspiration, material for my words, which turns into the window of the world I see: which is you. Isn't that an honor?

No comments:

Post a Comment